Monday, September 24, 2012

Restoration

Just spent a lovely weekend retreat at the Audubon Center of MN near Sandstone. It was only a few miles off the interstate, but the mental distance from the buzz of the crowds was much greater. I attended a Loft writers' conference on nature and environmental writing. It was much more informative than I could have imagined. This conference had my favorite kind of workshops, where there was no journaling, writing, practicing or otherwise empty time. The sessions I attended were packed full of useful, inspiring information by successful, experienced writers and editors. Kudos to the Loft for creating such a great gathering!

Thanks to this weekend, I have started considering the possibility of doing some magazine writing. It makes perfect sense to write the type of thing I love to read. It just took awhile for me to come around to that obvious fact. The weekend workshops demystified the whole query process for me, which was a major stumbling block. Sometimes you can't learn all you need from reading, it actually helps to talk to people!

So I'll dig out the articles I wrote for the Yoga Center magazine over the past couple years and try to cobble together some sort of portfolio to get the ball rolling.


I'm already seeing stories everywhere.

No comments: