Saturday, September 20, 2008

Last night I rode my bike on the track!

It was crazy scary fun! It had just rained about an hour earlier, and we weren't sure if we'd be able to ride, but the track dried out and pretty soon I was out in the infield practicing riding a fixed gear track bike. I really had to retrain my brain and body to learn this new skill. It was very awkward at first. But once I got going, I got the hang of it, and pretty soon I was ready to ride on the track. It was a daunting proposition, since, as seen in this picture, it is quite banked. The idea is that the faster you go, the further up the track you can ride. I only got up to the red line, which was plenty high for my first time. And it required such intense concentration, that I didn't even notice I was doing any work until I realized that I had to stop because my engine wouldn't go anymore.

It was quite the experience, and I hope to do it again one day. But I am now even more amazed that people actually race on there!

No comments: