Thursday, August 02, 2007

Michael and I are both okay. Neither of us was on that bridge at all the day it collapsed. He was at the Twins game when it happened, and I was on a bike ride, albeit one where I witnessed a crash of my teammates. I haven't been downtown, even though it's only a couple miles up the road from my house. I don't want to be a gawker getting in the way of people who are trying to do their jobs. Plus I figure I'll have plenty of time to see the wreckage since I'm sure it will be awhile before they remove all that debris.

It's one of those worst fear sort of things, which is I think why it's getting so much attention. Everyone can imagine themselves in that situation and try to think of how they would feel, what they would do. It makes you think twice whenever you drive over a bridge, too.

The north side of the city and the University is going to have it pretty hard until they get it rebuilt. I hear the side roads are pretty congested.

No more riding North on River Parkway for awhile. Michael and I just came through there on a ride on Monday.

It's easy to get engrossed in the coverage, so I'm trying to stay away from too much overload of news.

Tonight I went to a Femi Kuti/Wailers concert at the zoo. It was a good remedy to restore my positive mojo after all this crap of the last 24 hours. While I was there I saw a shooting star, and the moon was beautiful and huge on the horizon on the drive home.

No comments: